Doug -

I have a copy of ISO 3684:1984 (quite old) in which the
geometries of safety signs are described:

circle: prohibition or mandatory action
triangle: warning
square or rectangle: information (including instructions)

One must assume (since it's not said in ISO3684:1984,
ISO3641:1988, IEC60417-1:1998 or IEC60417-2:1998; though it
may be in IEC60416, which is reference in the scope of
IEC60417-2:1998 and is a normative reference in
IEC60417-1:1998) that just a symbol for a product marking,
without a surrounding geometric emphasis, is the same as if
the symbol were on a rectangular sign.

Answer to your trivia question - Per ISO 3684:1984, the
slash runs 10:00 to 4:00 for a prohibition sign.  This is
not always followed, if the ISO 7000:1989, Symbol 0506, is
any example.

Regards,

Peter L. Tarver, PE
Product Safety Manager