From: POWELL, DOUG [mailto:doug.pow...@aei.com]
Sent: 13 May 2003 00:53
To: EMC-PSTC (E-mail)
Subject: Use of a triangle on warning labels

Hello group,

It has become apparent to me that various standards require triangles at times
when others do not.  For example, IEC 61010-1 Table 1 only indicates 3 symbols
that have the triangle enclosing the symbol.  While, IEC 60417 does not
indicate this.  One that seems to be missing from IEC 61010-1 is the
exclamation point in triangle.  I've reviewed IEC 60204-1, EN50178, EN60950 as
well and I find varying requirements, some more than others.  SEMI S2 seems to
indicate that nearly every symbol belongs in a triangle.

I'm guessing that if it is an informational symbol, you do not use the
triangle, but countering this, I have seen the hearing protection warning in a
circle without the triangle.  Does anyone know of a reliable rule-of-thumb for
when to use a triangle on an IEC/ISO international warning symbol?

By the way, here's a trivia question to which I do know the answer:

On the circle-bar label warning, which angle does the slash take, from 10:00
to 4:00 or from 2:00 to 8:00 on the clock face?

thanks,

-doug

Douglas E. Powell
Regulatory Compliance Engineer
Advanced Energy Industries, Inc.
Fort Collins, CO 80535 USA

This message, including any attachments, may contain information
that is confidential and proprietary information of Advanced
Energy Industries, Inc.  The dissemination, distribution, use
or copying of this message or any of its attachments is
strictly prohibited without the express written consent of
Advanced Energy Industries, Inc.

This message (including any attachments) may contain confidential information
intended for a specific individual and purpose. If you are not the intended
recipient, delete this message. If you are not the intended recipient,
disclosing, copying, distributing, or taking any action based on this message
is strictly prohibited.