Dear John,

It depends on what you want.

But at first we need to discuss one issue of definition of
"verificaiton", "calibration" or all kinds of similar words.

I define a "calibration" as a traceble measurement and a "verification"
as a measurement that helps to establish confidence that some instrument
is still OK. A "verification" by this definition is not traceble. In
EMC, using a comb-generator daily to check you emissions equipment
(antenna + amp + cable + SA) is a verification.

1) If you are going to do a formal calibration, you have to follow the
standard and have to have a bandwidth of at least 1 GHz.

2) If you are just doing a verification, you can build your own current
target, even if it only works so and so. Then you take some
oscilloscope, e.g., 500 MHz bandwidth and do a reference measurement
after the ESD generator has been "calibrated" (see above for
definition). From that day on, you dischare the generator into your
self-made structure and compare to the reference. Now you need to derive
some useful criteria to handle diviations. But in general, your aim is
just to establish more confidence in the ESD generator's calibration
status. So your measurement do not need to capture all parameters in
good fidelity.

Of course, you have to do your traceble calibration, e.g., every year or
so.

The present ESD standard is not very clear in the use of "verification"
and "calibration". But the definitions above are the ones that
TC77b-WG-9 intended. The new version of the standard, that is in a CDV
stage, clarifies this better.

David Pommerenke
University Missouri Rolla