Hi Richard:

>   You mention a few times the 25 Amp test. The designs I have seen that try
>   and use this approach (and I don't ever recall seeing a design I was happy
>   with) were all switch mode power supplies where there was an input fuse of
>   about 2A, meaning that the test would be performed at 3A in the past (and
>   will be performed at 4A in the future, if the CDs go through un-changed).

I'm surprised that, today, a SMPS would used screen/
shield construction.

The effectiveness of a SMPS transformer is a function
of the physical proximity of primary and secondary
windings.  All of the SMPS transformers that I have
been involved with over the past 10 years or so use
reinforced/double-insulation between primary and
secondary.

While I mentioned the 25-amp test, I fully concur
that the test current is a function of the relevant
overcurrent device.

>   problem I am not convinced that it is the whole story.  For me, another
>   chapter in this story is the part played by the very high surge current
that
>   flows for a very short period of time.  It is here where we could usefully

I presume you are referring to the circuit prospective
current.  (I am not familiar with the proposal to
WG8.)

I would agree that this current, at a very small
contact area, is the driver for the hole in the
screen/shield.

However, I believe that the circuit prospective
current is of little or no consequence when testing
a robust earthing circuit complying with the
constructional requirements.  (Of course we should
test this hypothesis.)

Best regards,
Rich