Hi David:

>   It is being suggested that this product does not need safety testing and
>   does not need to include the reference to EN 60950 and the LVD in the CE
>   DoC, since it is SELV circuits only.

The LVD applies to products with voltage ratings
between 50 and 1000 V ac and between 75 and 1500
V dc.

SELV does not exceed 30 V ac and 60 V dc.

Therefore, the LVD does not apply to a product
that operates from a SELV source of supply.  (We
may be able to say that the LVD does not apply
to a Class III product.)

However, it is appropriate to indicate in the DoC
that the LVD does not apply to the product because
the product voltage is below the lower limits of
the LVD.

HOWEVER... EN 60950 applies to products powered
>from a SELV source of supply.  The electric shock
requirements do not apply to such products, but
the other EN 60950 requirements do apply to such
products.  These other requirements include the
so-called "energy hazard" requirements, mechanical
requirements, and fire requirements.

So, the product does indeed require safety testing,
but not with respect to the LVD.  The DoC should
indicate compliance with EN 60950.

Pragmatically, since you must test for compliance
to EN 60950 for these other requirements, it is
just as easy to indicate compliance to the LVD via
EN 60950 and thereby avoid any future argument
whether the LVD applies or not.

Most of our inkjet printer products are powered
by an external SELV source of supply.  We test
to EN 60950 and declare compliance with the LVD.

Best regards,
Rich