On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 16:51:47 -0400, "Stephen Irving"
<sirv...@lutron.com> wrote:
>We are investigating the Electrical Fast Transient (EFT) test as detailed in
IEC/EN 61000-4-4. I am looking for some experience/advise with this test.

>My understanding is that the IEC created this test to standardize fast line
transient tests, such that a single repeatable test could be performed. As
such, I am having a hard time finding information regarding the naturally
occurring voltages and frequencies of these events. We are trying to expand
the prescribed test into a "real-world, worst case" test. Does anyone have any
experience or related documents that may help?

>Also, the test is prescribed to have a period of 300ms (15 line cycles at
50Hz). We are in the US, and are running the test at 60Hz (which does not work
out to an even number of cycles - the beginning of the transient moves in
time). Does anyone know if the test should be altered to provide a repeatable
transient, or if there is a reason to leave it at 60Hz.

>I look forward to your comment - this is an interesting one! As always,
thanks for your help.

>Best regards,
>Steve Irving

  It looks like the EFT test was copied from an older IEEE document
circa 1980.  Take a look at specification IEEE C62.41, "Recommended
Practice on Surge Voltages in Low-Voltage AC Power Circuits".
  Besides defining the waveshape of various transient waveforms
(100kHz ringwave, Combination wave, 5n/50ns EFT, 10/1000us wave, 5kHz
ringawave), it also has a section describing transients found in the
United States.

Pat Lawler <pat.law...@verizon.net>