I need to determine the robustness requirements for the outer insulation of
an interconnecting cable for ITE when the cable contains hazardous voltages
and when the cable will be in the same physical environment as the power
cord. Clause 1.5.5 of EN 60950:2000 says that the cable must comply with the
relevant requirements of the standard, but those requirements are not
further specified in the standard.  One might infer that the insulation must
be no lighter than the requirements for power cords specified in Clause
3.2.5, but that is not clear. In particular, I need to determine if properly
voltage rated computer interconnect cables (e.g., UL style 2464) are
sufficiently robust to comply with the standard. Any suggestions on
acceptable cable types/styles would be appreciated.

Richard Woods
Sensormatic Electronics
Tyco International