Interesting observation.  You said hum gets louder.
 Implying hum is already there.  What kind of phone?

Is it only that one telephone instrument?

Only occurs when LEDs are near the instrument, not near the
phone lines with the phone in another location?

Is the effect more pronounced at less than 3m?

Are the LEDs turned on/off while appear to be on?  In other
words, LEDs are OFF then come ON OFF ON OFF ON OFF at some
high rate, perhaps near the 50Hz frequency?

Do the LED ckts affect an AM/FM radio held close by?

                          - Robert -

       Robert A. Macy, PE .. m...@california.com
       408 286 3985 . . . .. . . fx 408 297 9121
       AJM International Electronics Consultants
       101 E San Fernando, Suite 402
       San Jose, CA  95112