Dave,

Some interesting comments and discussion so far.

Let me comment that I often use insulation in chassis because of the
creepage/clearance for the same issue you describe.  Normally UL94V-2 is
sufficient since the insulation is not in direct contact with hazardous
currents and is not subject to resistive heating from current.  Normally, I
will use die-cut adhesive-backed Mylar or Nomex and this is applied by the
sheet metal vendor as a value added operation.

My choice of material thickness for insulation value is guided by a
Technical Information Letter (TIL) from CSA.  I use this information on
products that are approved for use in Canada and the USA.  The attached file
is a small HTML page I adapted from that TIL a couple of years ago.  I find
it helpful.

Regards,

-doug

Douglas E. Powell
Corporate Compliance Dept.
Advanced Energy Industries, Inc.
Fort Collins, CO 80535 USA

This message, including any attachments, may contain information
that is confidential and proprietary information of Advanced
Energy Industries, Inc.  The dissemination, distribution, use
or copying of this message or any of its attachments is
strictly prohibited without the express written consent of
Advanced Energy Industries, Inc.

Title: RE: 94V-0 question