I read in !emc-pstc that Muriel Bittencourt de Liz <mur...@eel.ufsc.br>
wrote (in <004c01c37861$f5de8e30$560aa...@maglab.ufsc.br>) about
'earthline choke' on Thu, 11 Sep 2003:
>I also remember that I read somewhere (i think it was Clayton Paul's
>book) that the use of this choke on safety wire is a problem for
>conformity with the safety standards, so its use it is not recommended
>from this viewpoint.

For safety, the requirements are a low enough impedance at the power
supply frequency |(50 or 60 Hz, usually), and sufficient current-
carrying capacity (typically 25 A for a few hundred milliseconds). The
impedance requirement (applied to the whole primary supply) is usually
more difficult to meet, being typically 0.1 ohm, including the mains
cable, fuse and internal wiring, but assuming a zero-impedance short-
circuit between (live + neutral) and earth.
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!