A choke in the safety ground  could replace a common mode choke in the mains
lines, but only if the enclosure of the filtered device is isolated from
trolley structure completely, and the capacitance between equipment
enclosure and trolley structure is controlled to provide a higher impedance
than through the filtered safety ground wire (over the frequency range of
interest).

If there is a short and the ground wire performs its function the choke will
saturate and become ineffective but that is a moot point under short circuit
conditions.  During the time it takes the choke to saturate it will buck the
increase in current and keep the shorting potential on the equipment
enclosure; I expect this will be on the order of a millisecond or less and
shouldn't be a safety issue, but there are lots of product safety people on
the list who can weigh in on that subject more authoritatively than I do.

--

Ken Javor
EMC Compliance