The FCC does have a residential public utilities exemption that  allows the
operation of Class A equipment (FCC class A) in the residential environment
(normally a FCC class B case), provided the equipment is in a large room
which is owned by the utility. This allows for equipment going into telco
equipment rooms etc. As far as I can tell, this does not apply to those
boxes that show up on the side of single family dwellings such as the fiber
to the home (ftth) terminus equipment. For reasons you might quess I asked
the question of the FCC - twice same answer both times.

Gary
>From: <marko.radoji...@nokia.com>
>To: <rgeorger...@carrieraccess.com>, <emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org>
>Subject: RE: GR-1089 Issue 3: 3.2.1 Radiated Emission Criteria
>Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 08:58:45 -0800
>
>Richard,
>
>The root of the problem may be that you are interpreting the requirements
>as "OR" rather than "AND".  GR-1089 requires you to meet R3-1 *AND* R3-2.
>
>Verizon also specifically calls out all these requirements in section
>3.2.10.1 of their NEBS checklist.
>http://www.verizonnebs.com/index.html#chklist
>
>As well to answer your last question, GR-1089 is really only required by US
>ILEC customers for deployment in their COs/CEVs/Remotes/etc. These
>locations fall under the FCC Public Utilities exemption but, due to other
>reasons, this exemption is rarely used for new equipment. The utilities are
>still responsible for fixing any EMI-related issues.
>
>As an editorial comment, these GR-1089 requirements seem to me to be
>strongly favouring all new system designs to not use covers, doors, etc. as
>a form of EMI containment.  That is certainly the easiest way to comply
>with these requirements.
>
>Cheers,
>Marko

Is your computer infected with a virus?  Find out with a FREE computer virus
scan from McAfee.  Take the FreeScan now!