From: Ken Javor [mailto:ken.ja...@emccompliance.com]
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2003 2:26 PM
To: POWELL, DOUG; 'drcuthb...@micron.com'; emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Re: opinions, please

I agree with Mr. Powell's conclusion, but I don't follow his logic.  I have
a USB solid state hard drive that has a CE mark.  It is memory with a
standard interface. It is totally useless by itself, it derives power from
its host.  The rationale must lie somewhere else.

> From: "POWELL, DOUG" <doug.pow...@aei.com>
> Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 12:35:17 -0700
> To: "'drcuthb...@micron.com'" <drcuthb...@micron.com>,
> emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
> Subject: RE: opinions, please
>

> Dave,
>
> I would call this a component.
>
> The key here is to decide if it has intrinsic function (i.e. does it have
> useful propose when used alone?).  If not, then it is a component.
>
> Regards,
>
> -doug
>
> -------------------------------------
>
> Douglas E. Powell
> Corporate Compliance Dept.
> Advanced Energy Industries, Inc.
> Fort Collins, CO 80525 USA

This message, including any attachments, may contain information
that is confidential and proprietary information of Advanced
Energy Industries, Inc.  The dissemination, distribution, use
or copying of this message or any of its attachments is
strictly prohibited without the express written consent of
Advanced Energy Industries, Inc.