Hi Peter and Raymond:

>   In the sake of fairness, it should be noted that both of my
>   EUTs had solder loops and were not intended for surface or
>   through-hole mounting to a PWB.  For the sake of our mutual
>   edification, it would be interesting to see how the
>   appliance inlet in Raymond's customer's power supply might
>   perform, desoldered from the board and tested to determine
>   its ultimate breakdown potential outside the power supply.
>   This would be a good exercise for Raymond to also provide
>   his customer with the best possible advice.

Raymond doesn't have to do this.

The dimensions of the standard C14 specify 5 mm
between mains and PE.  The dimensions of the pins
determine the field shape.  These two sets of
dimensions set the withstand/breakdown of the
C14.

Therefore, each and every C14 will withstand 5 kV.

The breakdown in Raymond's unit is not the C14 itself,
but probably on the back of the main PWB, either
where the C14 is soldered to the board or where the
Y-caps are soldered to the board.

Best regards,
Rich