Mike,This won't address you question directly - but this is often a problem
with SMPS folks for a couple of reasons. 1) Price competition can be pretty
cut throat so they are not wanting to do anything they don't have to. 2)The
results of the emissions tests are heavily dependant upon the system in
which they are used. E.G Might work in my system and not in yours depending
on clocks used, how well we design the system etc. So they like to use both
clauses and avoid testing. The FCC requirements are, in my opinion a little
murky as well. I solve the problem in my purchase specifications by both
requiring that it will work when installed in my equipment and requiring
that they, at a minimum, provide me with a conducted emissions tests at min,
max and nominal load range and a radiated sweep at nominal. (Obviously this
is only for reference as youi system will undoubtably provide some shielding
- but it helps me in dealing with the mechanical boys to start identiify the
minimal shielding performance I expect out of the encloure - at least in
reference to the power supply. Also be aware that I have run into a few
cases where the SMPS purcahsed isn't necessarily the SMPS tested in the
first place. Uncontrolled and untested cost reduction etc can completely
obviate test results. Make sure the test results and the product part, and
revision numbers match. It CAN be ugly - but not if you're careful and you
monitor your vendor.
Gary

>From: Ken Javor <ken.ja...@emccompliance.com>
>To: "Sosnoski, Michael" <gl...@wmsgaming.com>,
>"'emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org'" <emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org>
>Subject: Re: EU directives for SMPS
>Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 15:51:04 -0600
>

>Not an area in which I am expert, but doesn't the low voltage directive
>point you at EMC requirements?
>
> > From: "Sosnoski, Michael" <gl...@wmsgaming.com>
> > Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 13:48:48 -0600
> > To: "'emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org'" <emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org>
> > Subject: EU directives for SMPS
> >

> > Can anyone tell me what EU directives are required for a SMPS?
> > I have a supplier telling me only the LVD is required?  I am shocked
>that
> > the EMC directive would not be required for a SMPS also.
> > I will look at their DOC, and see what the declared-just wondering.
> >
> > Mike Sosnoski

> > with the single line:
> > unsubscribe emc-pstc
> >
> > For help, send mail to the list administrators:
> > Ron Pickard:              emc-p...@hypercom.com
> > Dave Heald:               emc_p...@symbol.com
> >
> > For policy questions, send mail to:
> > Richard Nute:           ri...@ieee.org
> > Jim Bacher:             j.bac...@ieee.org
> >
> > Archive is being moved, we will announce when it is back on-line.
> > All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at:
> > http://www.ieeecommunities.org/emc-pstc

>with the single line:
>      unsubscribe emc-pstc
>
>For help, send mail to the list administrators:
>      Ron Pickard:              emc-p...@hypercom.com
>      Dave Heald:               emc_p...@symbol.com
>
>For policy questions, send mail to:
>
>Archive is being moved, we will announce when it is back on-line.
>All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at:
>     http://www.ieeecommunities.org/emc-pstc

Want to check if your PC is virus-infected?  Get a FREE computer virus scan
online from McAfee.