Tom:

I'm not familiar with N8110, but allow me to say a few things. 3,000 V/m is
a rather high field strength, and is not easily achievable.

If the requirement is 3,000 V/m, swept over a frequency range, it will be
difficult to find a lab that can really do that. Some labs will have odd
items, perhaps an X-band radar set and a 4-foot diameter parabolic antenna.
With that, they might easily achieve 25,000 V/m, but only peak, and only
over the mechanical tuning limits of the radar's magnetron (like possibly
8.6 to 9.5 GHz). If you want more frequency coverage, or some other than the
default modulation, you are out of luck.

OTOH, if you just need a generic pulse that hits 3,000 V/m peak, then a
number of labs can do this (although the bigger your test specimen, the
fewer the labs). For instance, MIL-STD-461E defines a Method RS105, that
calls for a 50 kV/m pulse. Plus, they show a sheet-metal antenna, easily
within the building skills of any air-conditioning contractor.
Unfortunately, the details about the pulse generator that drives this
antenna are quite absent. <g> Some manufacturers, such as Maxwell Labs, made
somewhat suitable, incredibly expensive pulse generators. Try looking for a
lab associated with a large aerospace company. You might also try:

http://www.lightningtech.com

http://www.dynamiclabs.com

http://www.baesystems.com   in Lakewood NJ.

R&B Industries used to have some kind of deal with the Navy viz the Pax
River EMP facility.

http://www.nawcad.navy.mil

The USAF had a fantastic HIRF / EMP facility at Kirtland AFB, but I think
they gave that to the Army guys at White Sands Missile Range.

http://wstc.wsmr.army.mil/

Both the British & the French military have very good HIRF capabilities. I
seem to recall Airbus Industries having a big facility in the south of
France (Toulouse?).

Getting back to the actual testing, there's two ways to do it. The best way
is the straight forward, brute force approach: Illuminate the whole test
specimen in a 3,000 V/m field, and see if it still works. This is easy to
understand, but requires major lab facilities. (Think the most expensive
test you ever paid for.)

An alternate method is to determine "upset" values of current or voltage
within your device. Let's assume you have a microprocessor reset line that
will trip at 3.57 volts. Normally, there's only a few millivolts on that
line. All you have to do is attach a probe to that line, and somehow monitor
the voltage while an external RF field is applied to the device. If you can
only generate a field of say, 300 V/m, then you verify that the internal
reset line voltage never exceeds 0.357 volts during the moment of the
external field application.

The advantage is that you can test with much smaller fields. The problems
here are that the scaling isn't necessarily linear, that you may contaminate
the test with the presence of the monitor equipment, and that you may not be
monitoring ALL of the critical circuit locations.

A number of labs can put a couple of thousand volt pulse onto a stripline
antenna, so this scaling approach is popular. It lets you get the test done,
trading on increased complexity & time.

Regards,

Ed

Ed Price
ed.pr...@cubic.com         WB6WSN
NARTE Certified EMC Engineer & Technician
Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab
Cubic Defense Applications
San Diego, CA  USA
858-505-2780  (Voice)
858-505-1583  (Fax)
Military & Avionics EMC Is Our Specialty

Visit our web site at:  http://www.ieee-pses.org/