I have read this paper and it is excellent, the problem still persists that
for accreditation purposes the ISO TR10605 method is the only once
accepted.

Rob Kado
EMC Engineer
VWS - Auburn Hills, USA
Tel: 248-340-3828 / Fax: 248-340-3316
Internal Location 3M2

                       Camille Good

                       <goodca_ve...@yahoo.com>          To:   Kevin Harris
<kevinharr...@dsc.com>, "EMC-PSTC (emc-p...@ieee.org)"
                       Sent by:                            <emc-p...@ieee.org>

                       owner-emc-pstc@majordomo.i        cc:

                       eee.org                           Subject:    Re: ESD
Gun Verification between calibrations

                       04/21/2004 01:48 PM

                       Please respond to Camille

                       Good

Varuzhan Kocharyan and Dave Tolman at Northwest EMC in
Hillsboro, Oregon, developed a method that might be
what you are looking for. The paper can be found at
http://www.nwemc.com/1136.pdf.  Varuzhan gave a talk
based on this paper at our local IEEE EMC Chapter
sometime in the last year or so and if I remember
correctly, I think the paper was also presented at the
most recent IEEE EMC Symposium, I think it was held in
Toronto(???).

Abstract: "The management of ESD simulators and
standardized ESD test stations to assure quality test
results continues to be a major concern for test
houses. Early detection of malfunctioning ESD
equipment is possible if a day-by-day check is
performed. The standard system for verification of ESD
simulators is large, expensive and not practical for
an everyday check . This paper describes the express
diagnostic method aimed to locate the problems with
ei-ther the ESD simulator or the test station. A
100MHz?.500MHz bandwidth oscilloscope can be used to
measure the quasi-electrostatic field of the
horizontal coupling plane after the package of
discharges has been applied. The malfunction of an ESD
simulator and/or test station is discovered as a
deviation from the baseline measurements, which are
taken immediately after calibration. This method
exposes any changes of the indicated discharge voltage
or the horizontal coupling plane bleeder resistor
impedance as well as changes in the discharge networks
of ESD simulators. The oscillograms and the
statistical analysis of data are presented in this
paper, which support the claims that this method can
assist in detection of potential problems of ESD
equipment."

Camille Good,
Portland, Oregon

--- Kevin Harris <kevinharr...@dsc.com> wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> We are in the process of moving some of the ESD
> testing we currently do (as
> pre-compliance to formal testing at an agency or
> test house) to formal
> testing under a laboratory accreditation program. In
> that regard, the issue
> of verification of the ESD gun's performance has
> come up between calibration
> cycles. Short of spending a lot of coin on a scope
> with a very fast one shot
> capture and running the formal calibration test as a
> method of periodic
> verification, does anyone have some suggestions for
> alternative methods that
> aren't so expensive but would still satisfy an
> accreditor as being a
> reasonable approach.
>
> Thanks
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Kevin Harris
> Manager, Approvals Group
> Digital Security Controls
> 3301 Langstaff Road
> Concord, Ontario
> CANADA
> L4K 4L2
> Tel: +1 905 760 3000 Ext. 2378
> Fax +1 905 760 3020
> Email: kevinharr...@dsc.com

Yahoo! Photos: High-quality 4x6 digital prints for 25ยข
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash

Visit our web site at:  http://www.ieee-pses.org/

"This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the intended
recipient(s).
The information contained therein may be confidential or privileged, and
its disclosure or reproduction is strictly prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please return it immediately to its
sender at the above address and destroy it."

Visit our web site at:  http://www.ieee-pses.org/