To all,

QP detection of the pulse requires a linear detector. The
spectrum anlayzer should be set up with uV (rather than dBuV)
on the vertical scale. Let me know if the RC time constant
displays differently with the new setting (there may be some
dynamic range issues so some experimenting may be required).

Regards,
Kurt Fischer

>Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:29:35 -0600
>From: drcuthb...@micron.com
>Subject: RE: Calculating/predicting Quasi-peak of a single
pulse
>To: <drew.rosenb...@itron.com>, <emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org>
>

>Drew,
>
>What have you got the RBW and VBW set to?
>
>  Dave Cuthbert
>  Micron Technology

Rosenberg, Drew
>Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 3:00 PM
>To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
>Subject: Calculating/predicting Quasi-peak of a single pulse
>

>Hi EMC Gurus,
>       I have been struggling with something for a while and
have
>decided that this is the best place to send my question:
>
>       I would like to better understand how quasi-peak is
determined
>on a single pulse of specified duration.  From my
understanding,
>Quasi-peak applies an RC time constant to the pulse.  If the
pulse
>length equals 5 times the RC time constant, then the QP
measurement will
>be roughly 99% of the peak measurement.
>       According to CISPR-16-1 Table 1, the charging time
constant
>specified is 1 ms.  Therefore, according to my
understanding, QP should
>be 99% of peak measurement at 5ms.
>
>       However, my experiments have given very different
results.  I
>have an HP8593E spectrum analyzer.  In an effort to prove my
>understanding of CISPR-16-1's definition of Quasi-peak, I
applied a 1
>second 900 MHz pulse to the spectrum analyzer with QP
detection on.
>This 1 second pulse was applied using the pulse trigger of a
Marconi
>2024 sig gen.  To my surprise, QP did not equal peak until
about 500ms.

>       Does anyone know why I am getting such different
results than
>what I had predicted?
>
>       I have data and analyzer pics if anyone thinks that
they would
>help.  I have been told that attachments are not good for
list servers,

Visit our web site at:  http://www.ieee-pses.org/