That was my post, that you could not average in log mode.  It sounds as if
the FCC is ignoring the issue, but others know more about that than myself.
As I said, averaging log responses amounts to taking a geometric mean, as
opposed to a true average, which is supposed to be an arithmetic mean.  When
the values to be averaged don't vary much, it doesn't make much difference.
But if a signal is impulsive with a low repetition rate it makes an orders
of magnitude difference.

Here is a numerical example to illustrate the difference.  Suppose that one
sample takes a value of unity, the next sample is zero.  The arithmetic mean
is 0.5, the geometric mean is zero.

A spectrum analysis example.  A pulse with peak amplitude 0 dBm, noise floor
of -80 dBm.  Pulse 10 us long, 10 kHz rep rate (~10% duty cycle).  Average
time constant is one millisecond.

True average: 0 dBm is one milliwatt, but that is there 10% of the time,
thus the average is 0.1 mW, or -10 dBm.

Log average: Add the 0 dBm and -80 dBm values and take 1/2, to get -40 dBm.
(equivalent to multiplying 1 mW by 1e-8 mW and taking the square root).

Results are off by three orders of magnitude, and averaging the log detector
makes it easier to pass.

In the real world of EMI testing, there likely isn't 80 dB between a signal
and noise floor, and the noise floor will set the lower bound on the
averaging.  If the noise floor were 6 dB below the signal, the arithmetic
mean (relative to a normalized signal value of 1) would be 0.75, the average
of the log value would be 0.707.  This is less than 3 dB difference, if the
values are taken to be power, less than 6 dB if the values are taken to be
potential.