Hi Dave and Net,

Transmitting at 160m (1.8MHz) in an operating position with about 600V/m in
my amateur radio stations (HB9CVQ/DK2VQ) would certainly make me search for
a reduction method to lower the fields to less than 20 V/m. I tested this
with 1 kW output and  a calibrated field strength monitor (Narda Safety Test
Systems) in CW-mode.
Setup: Antenna G5RV , short dipole 2x15.4m, normally  9.85m 450 Ohm open
wire feeder, at 160m extension with extra 17,5m 450 Ohm line, common mode
choke (35dB) , 3.5m RG213, asymmetrical tuner, TL922, IC-761. All equipment
is shielded and properly grounded (max. I CM < 10mA anywhere at
1kW-reference ground plane below equipment desk installed-open zoning
concept). The antenna feed point is about 7m away with the feed line being
perfectly in the symmetry plane of the ant. The end of the feed line is
about 2m away from the operating position.
With just the 9.85m feeder line and 15  uH inductance , about 30 cm
diameter, open-no shield, real low loss inductors at the end, to tune the
line on each side, I got 1.5 KV/m in the operating position-about 1,3m away
only with 100W output on 1.85MHz! That made me worry to change very quickly.
Efficiency of this new antenna system (additional extended feeder by 17.5m-
coiled up on 40cm diameter) is naturally reduced over a full half wave
dipole, but reasonable for the restricted space. In publicly accessible
areas near the antenna (feed point 12m up and ends down to 9m height above
ground) the E-field drops to about 1V/m at full legal 1kW level. By the way
measuring very near a metallic surface can sometimes produce strange
readings with E-field probes, better check the surface currents with a
suitable probe.
I hope these comments are useful

Diethard Hansen

Best regards

Dr. Diethard Hansen

EES President, Principal Consultant, Trainer
US Senior NARTE certif. EMC Eng. 001937NE
EMC+Automotive+Telecom QM+techn. EA-Auditor

Euro EMC SERVICE (EES) Dr.-Ing. D. Hansen
POB 64, Bahnhofstr.39, CH-8965 Berikon 2,
Switzerland, Swiss VAT (Mwst.)No.:323214

tel./fax: +41 566 33 73 81
German mobile phone: +49(0)1736015909
www.euro-emc-service.de <http://www.euro-emc-service.de>
euro.emc.serv...@swissonline.ch <mailto:euro.emc.serv...@swissonline.ch>