I am no expert in this subject, and some of what I am about to say is hearsay,
but here it is for what it's worth.

Safety levels are generally based not on field strength, but on power density.
However, these levels are set for the power absorption of the body (in W/kg)
based on the heating effect. For comparison purposes consider the acceptance
levels applied to SAR testing. On this basis, I suspect that Dave's amateur
rig probably doesn't meet SAR acceptance levels, and should probably have an
exclusion zone around the antenna!

The original message was concerned with the effect on a pacemaker rather than
directly on the body itself. Clearly, if you disrupt a pacemaker then it is
the pacemaker that has an effect on the body.
I believe that the susceptibility depends greatly on whether they are external
pacemakers or implanted pacemakers. The implanted devices are much less
susceptible as they are completely surrounded by soft body tissue, which is
largely water in any case. External devices are much more susceptible, due
largely to the relatively long electrode wire. being long, this is generally
susceptible at fairly low frequencies, and I have heard that they can be
affected by the magnetic loops used in store doorways for security
(merchandise protection) purposes. I have no knowledge of their susceptibility
to E fields.

Best regards,

Neil R. Barker C.Eng. MIEE FSEE MIEEE
Manager