From: owner-emc-p...@listserv.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-emc-p...@listserv.ieee.org] On Behalf Of Brian O'Connell
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 9:53 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: Potted components

For UL I.T., the materials must be approved for the operating
conditions,
IP, and WV.

IEC 60950-1, 2.10.8 Spacings filled by insulating compound
Where distances between conductive parts are filled with insulating
compound, including where insulation is reliably cemented together with
insulating compound, so that CLEARANCES and CREEPAGE DISTANCES do not
exist,
only the requirements for distance through insulation of 2.10.5.1 apply.

luck,
Brian

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

     Scott Douglas             emcp...@ptcnh.net
     Mike Mcantwell            mcantw...@ieee.org

Title: RE: Potted components

Brian,

You are absolutely correct, once you have a reliable encapsulant then
the spacings problem becomes one of solid insulation or distance through
insulation.  The trick is, as you mentioned, is the reliable adherence
to the PWB itself.

As it turns out a "pancake void" along a surface is the worst kind and
if you are dealing with any appreciable voltage at all, then you may
have a significant problem corona in the circuit.  I've seen problems
manifest even after 6 months of operation.  The test is the same for
solid insulation, Partial Discharge and/or Impulse testing.

If PD becomes a problem, a possible fix is to specify a bead-blast (no
sand-blast please) of the surface prior to mounting parts and no solder
mask.  This removes any release compounds or contaminants that may still
be present on the surface of the laminate.  Naturally if you fully
encapsulate a PCB then there is no need for component designators or
silkscreen.

There is also the issue of doing repairs and restoring the encapsulant
to its previous capability.

-doug

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html