I'm sure those on that committee hashed through all this in agonizing
detail.  So this is a general comment for those, like myself, not part of
that committee.

If, and I stress if, there were a need and desire to protect mobile phone
use while seated at your PC, then the measurement would have to be made at a
representative distance (say 1 meter).  The antenna used to measure the
emissions would need to look like a cell phone antenna, but we could make it
a dipole to get a better pattern and a repeatable, known antenna factor.
Now if the PC were a compact blob you could just use a small turntable and
small mast and scale down the standard OATS measurement.  But since the PC
is an extended system with multiple interfaces, the outline is not circular.
That means that if we try to enforce a 1 meter antenna-EUT separation, the
antenna has to move towards and then away from the EUT as the EUT revolves.

Another factor is that if you design to protect a -105 dBm receiver one
meter from the test sample, you are in fact and practice imposing a military
standard radiated emission limit.  A quick look at military electronic
chassis and cable shielding practices will convince you that there is a
design and cost impact to doing this.

Sounds like lots of fun.  Just use a land line!

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html