Kim,

I would guess that your 385 Vdc is the output of a power factor correction
module. These do not usually provide any galvanic isolation (as you state),
so the 385 V is with respect to the mains input. We generally consider this
part of a circuit to be a "primary circuit" or "circuit derived from mains"
and have had products independently assessed for EN, UL, and CSA versions of
standards as well as gaining IEC CB reports on this basis. There is not a
great difference between 385 Vdc and the peak value of 240 Vac; well about
45 V in fact. I would recommend that you use 385 V as the working voltage as
it is the 'safe' option and shouldn't make life unduly difficult for you.

Best regards

Neil R. Barker CEng MIEE FSEE MIEEE
Manager
Compliance Engineering