Amund,

What an interesting question.
I would start from the perspective of equipment placed on the EU market.
Presumably an EU flag ship is EU owned, and therefore the electronics (even if
only as an integral part of the vessel) would be procured from within the EU,
and therefore would have been placed on the EU market - hence RoHS applies.
Considering ships built in the EU, albeit for export, the electronics will
have been purchased at some point within the EU and will therefore have been
placed on the EU market, hence RoHS also applies in this case.
Interestingly, picking up on the recent thread on China RoHS, one of the first
equipment categories listed in that legislation is marine radar equipment. I
would expect most other electrionic navigation equipment (GPS, chartplotters,
echosounders, radio equipment, etc) to also be considered to be ITE equipment
and hence be within the legislation in both EU and China. As a manufacturer of
components for marine radar, we are assuming that they will have to be RoHS
compliant, even though many OEMs are located outside both EU and China, since
much of the end-user market is within these countries.
Best regards

Neil R. Barker CEng MIEE FSEE MIEEE
Manager
Compliance Engineering