John Woodagate wrote:

>> The reason is that there are MANY ways to damage your hearing and
playing a CD player too loud is just one. Also, we don't have any
evidence that a significant number of people DO play them too loud. The <<

Leaving aside whether there is indeed a need for such a limit...

It seems to me that the only way to reliably limit the sound pressure
applied to eardrums is to require a physical limit on the amount of air an
*earphone* can move.  Without knowing the acoustic efficiency of whatever
transducer a user has, it is difficult, and perhaps impossible, to do so at
the electronics end.

Cortland Richmond
KA5S

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html