I love the submarine example.  A true testament to the strength of
lignin…nature’s polymer.

I seem to remember the original post mentioning that they didn’t like steel
because of the chance for slippage of the blocks due to hydraulic fluid.

My suggestion would be to use steel supports with wooden support surfaces.
Then the wood becomes the anti-skid piece; but doesn’t have to hold the
entire load.

Personally, I trust wooden blocks with my life all of the time when working on
cars, farm machinery , etc…  However, you do have to understand the nature
of wood.  There are certain orientations of grain and defects that could be a
recipe for disaster.

If you are looking for a reference, one that may help is “Understanding
Wood” by Hoadley.  I have a copy at home.  I know that it provides some
strength numbers for various species and orientations of wood.

Chris Maxwell

Design/Compliance Engineer

Anritsu

  _____