Hi David,

A couple of possibilities:

- You have an increase in RF currents flowing from the power supply, through
the electronic load, to it's power source (regardless whether the electronic
load is grounded).  Note: EN55022:1998, clause 9.2.e says that other power
cords from the system (in this case, your electronic load) need to be
connected to their own artificial mains network.

- The volume of the electronic load is much bigger than the resistive load,
and has more capacitance to the ground plane of the test setup.

- Emissions testing is very sensitive to wire length and position.
We normally do EMC testing with a resistive load, using wires as short as
practical.  A customer once reported a difference in readings when he tested
our power supply with a resistive load.  When I asked for a picture of the
test setup, I saw his resistive load and hookup wire formed a loop about 2
feet in diameter.
When I re-created his resistive load from the picture, I saw an increase in my
own noise measurements of 10dB.

Pat Lawler
EMC Engineer
Condor DC Power Supplies

emc-p...@ieee.org wrote on 05/18/2006 08:08:46 AM:
> We measured conducted emissions of a switched mode ac-dc power supply
> and found that emissions are much higher when using an electronic load
> compared to a resistive load.  Can somebody explain why this is?
> Thanks,
> David.
>
> David Gelfand, P.E.
> Product Integrity Engineer
> Mitec Telecom Inc
> 9000 Trans-Canada Highway
> Montreal QC H9R 5Z8
> Canada
> 514 694 9000 x2262
message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc
discussion list. Website: http://www.ieee-pses.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas emcp...@ptcnh.net Mike Cantwell mcantw...@ieee.org

For policy questions, send mail to: