From: Charles Blackham [mailto:charles.black...@sulisconsultants.com]
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2006 10:40 AM
To: Ron Pickard
Cc: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: RE: NRTL mark required for goods shipped into USA?

Ron

As I understand it, based on replies to the OP and some further
investigation.

The "requirement" (or strong recommendation at least) to be NRTL listed
comes from:

1910.303(a)
Approval. The conductors and equipment required or permitted by this
subpart shall be acceptable only if approved.

1910.399 contains a number of definitions, including:

Approved. Acceptable to the authority enforcing this subpart. The
authority enforcing this subpart is the Assistant Secretary of Labor for
Occupational Safety and Health. The definition of "acceptable" indicates
what is acceptable to the Assistant Secretary of Labor, and therefore
approved within the meaning of this Subpart.

Acceptable. An installation or equipment is acceptable to the Assistant
Secretary of Labor, and approved within the meaning of this Subpart S:
(i) If it is accepted, or certified, or listed, or labeled, or otherwise
determined to be safe by a nationally recognized testing laboratory; or
...other options

However the exemption is in section(iv) below:

1910.302(a)(2)
Not covered. The provisions of 1910.302 through 1910.308 of this subpart
do not cover:
(i)Installations in ships, watercraft, railway rolling stock, aircraft,
or automotive vehicles other than mobile homes and recreational
vehicles.
(ii)Installations underground in mines.
(iii)Installations of railways for generation, transformation,
transmission, or distribution of power used exclusively for operation of
rolling stock or installations used exclusively for signaling and
communication purposes.
(iv)Installations of communication equipment under the exclusive control
of communication utilities, located outdoors or in building spaces used
exclusively for such installations.
(v)Installations under the exclusive control of electric utilities for
the purpose of communication or metering; or for the generation,
control, transformation, transmission, and distribution of electric
energy located in buildings used exclusively by utilities for such
purposes or located outdoors on property owned or leased by the utility
or on public highways, streets, roads, etc., or outdoors by established
rights on private property.

Extracts all from
http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owastand.display_standard_group?p_toc_le
vel=1&p_part_number=1910

regards
Charlie

> Hi Charles et al,
>
> Sorry for coming into this a bit late, but where does it (what federal
> regulation) state that "communication equipment under the exclusive
> control of communication utilities, located outdoors or in building
> spaces used exclusively for such installations" do not apply to 29CFR
> Part 1910? I was under the understanding that adherence to 29CFR Part
> 1910 was federally mandated by the US Dept of Labor (OSHA) for all
> workplaces in general without exceptions. If this exemption is indeed
> the case, then what other bonafide exemptions exist? Please advise.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Ron Pickard
> rpick...@hypercom.com

Charles