From: Arthur Michael [mailto:amich...@safetylink.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2006 5:43 AM
To: Samuel Lifshutz
Cc: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: RE: NRTL mark required for goods shipped into USA?

Hello Samuel,

And, what say you of products not used in the workplace (I don't
necessarily agree with the position stated by some that one's home is a
workplace - other than for home based businesses)?

Best regards, Art Michael

      -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
     |            http://www.safetylink.com                   |
     |  The Safety Link is the most comprehensive collection  |
     |  of product safety and standards resources on the WEB  |
     |              Int'l Product Safety News                 |
     |        (It's our 18th Anniversary  1988-2006)          |
     |                 P.O.Box 1561 - WWW                     |
     |            Middletown CT 06457-8061 U.S.A.             |
     |     Phone: (860) 344-1651     Fax: (860) 346-9066      |
     |            http://www.safetylink.com/#IPSN             |
      -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
On Fri, 16 Jun 2006, Samuel Lifshutz wrote:

> Group:
>

> Here are the reasons for safety compliance in USA.
>

> In United States, Code of Federal Regulations, CFR 29, Subpart S, Part
> 1910.399 states that installation or equipment that utilizes
electricity
> and used in the workplace must be acceptable to the Assistant
Secretary
> of Labor.
>

> Acceptable. An installation or equipment is acceptable to the
Assistant
> Secretary of Labor, and approved within the meaning of this Subpart S:
>
> (i) If it is accepted, or certified, or listed, or labeled, or
otherwise
> determined to be safe by a nationally recognized testing laboratory;
or

> (ii) With respect to an installation or equipment of a kind which no
> nationally recognized testing laboratory accepts, certifies, lists,
> labels, or determines to be safe, if it is inspected or tested by
> another Federal agency, or by a State, municipal, or other local
> authority responsible for enforcing occupational safety provisions of
> the National Electrical Code, and found in compliance with the
> provisions of the National Electrical Code as applied in this subpart;
> or
>
> (iii) With respect to custom-made equipment or related installations
> which are designed, fabricated for, and intended for use by a
particular
> customer, if it is determined to be safe for its intended use by its
> manufacturer on the basis of test data which the employer keeps and
> makes available for inspection to the Assistant Secretary and his
> authorized representatives. Refer to 1910.7 for definition of
nationally
> recognized testing laboratory.
>

> CFR 29 provides the list of NRTL and a list of standards acceptable to
> the Assistant Secretary of Labor.
>

> Failure to have product listed by NRTL is a violation of law.
>

> States laws, municipal, local and industry regulations may have
> additional acceptability requirements.
>

> Non-compliance may result in criminal and civil penalties.
>

> Samuel Lifshutz
>
> Manager QA
>
> MRV Communications Inc.
>
> 20520 Nordhoff Street