If the clear, logical explanation does not work, then try my fall-back
plan:

        If it is an ME try this:  "Oh, think of ESD as the electrical
equivalent to
the study of thermal gradients in non-homogeneous stratified media".
                (or pick another incomprehensible subject in their area of
expertise-  but
you gotta do it with a straight face!!)

        My favorite story about the EE / ME rift is about units.
                I know more than a few ME's who just cringe when they hear the
term from
shielding: "Ohms per square".
                They are left hanging, waiting for you to complete the sentence.
                "Ohms per square... WHAT?" they ask.
                They just can't conceive a system of measurement that has a
variable in the
units!

        Can't help but find humor in that.

Best Regards,