_____

From: Derek Walton [mailto:lfresea...@aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 1:13 PM
To: IEEE EMC Discussion Group
Subject: Ethernet bulkhead

HI All,

I've been looking for a bulkhead ethernet connector that will terminate a
shielded cable. I've found a whole bunch of plain old connectors, but I'm
trying to avoid making an adaptor.

Note, this is for passing the signal out of a shield room, it's not intended
for deployment.

Can anyone point me to something I could use please?

Thanks,

Derek Walton

Derek:

I got some samples of a heat-shrink tubing that had metallization on its ID
and OD. The idea is that it can form a contiguous shield over a cable shield
and onto a metal backshell. The samples I got were various diameters of
tubing, but I understand that this idea is also available in pre-formed shapes
that will fit things like a DB25 connector or an Ethernet connector.

One vendor is  <http://www.methode.com> http://www.methode.com

BTW, a "packing gland" is another trick I use for cable penetrations on my
test chamber. You mount a short straight section of brass water-pipe into a
hole in the shield wall (or penetration port cover). You put a brass pipe cap
(drilled to allow passage of the coax [or other cable]). You strip off a
length of the insulation covering the cable shield (a bit longer than the
brass pipe length). You thread the coax through the inner pipe cap, and screw
that cap to the pipe. Outside, you slide the coax through the other pipe cap,
but before you put it on the pipe, stuff as much bronze wool into the pipe as
possible (keeping the cable somewhat centered). When you screw on the outer
pipe cap, it will compress the bronze wool and ensure a nice ground for the
shield.

This has the advantage of not disturbing the cable structure, and it
eliminates the loss caused by two additional cable connectors and a
feedthrough assembly. I use this on my permanent 1 GHz to 18 GHz test coax.

The really "quick & cheap" way is just to use a crinkled wad of aluminum foil
as a collar around a cable as it goes through a hole in the shield. Not
pretty, only temporary, but works great if you do it right. I go through a lot
of aluminum foil!

Ed Price
ed.pr...@cubic.com
NARTE Certified EMC Engineer & Technician
Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab
Cubic Defense Applications
San Diego, CA  USA
858-505-2780 (Voice)
858-505-1583 (FAX)
Military & Avionics EMC Is Our Specialty

message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc
discussion list. Website: http://www.ieee-pses.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas emcp...@ptcnh.net Mike Cantwell mcantw...@ieee.org

For policy questions, send mail to: