From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Fred
Borda
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 12:43 PM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: Re: India Wireless testing.

Hi All,

I think I can help sort this out.

The language of the WPC notification is confusing, but the straight
story is that individuals or entities need not be licensed to possess,
use or sell 2.4GHz radio equipment, but the equipment itself has to be
type approved. One reason for the confusing language is that WPC *does*
require licenses for those activities related to radio equipment
operating in other bands that have not been de-licensed.

When the 2.4GHz band was de-licensed a few years back, Compliance
International's New Delhi office worked closely with officials at WPC to
understand the intention of the notification and the type approval
requirement. There was some confusion for a time as WPC worked out the
details, but now the requirements are clear and rather straightforward.
WPC will grant approval based on review of existing FCC report and
accompanying documents. No in-country testing required.

Someone asked about enforcement. It's always hard to get the full
picture on enforcement, but what we are seeing today is that most (if
not all) of the major vendors of common radio devices (e.g., WLAN) are
pursuing WPC approval for products they sell in India.

Hope this helps,

-Fred Borda
Compliance International

On 31 Aug 2006, at 6:04 AM, UMBDENSTOCK, DON wrote:

> Sounds similar to FCC for Part 15 intentional radiators - license not
> required but certification is required...
>

> Don Umbdenstock
> Manager Compliance Engineering
>
> Tyco Safety Products / Sensormatic
> 6600 Congress Avenue
> Boca Raton, FL 33487 USA
> Phone:  561.912.6440
> djumbdenst...@tycoint.com

Fred Borda
VP, Business Development
Compliance International
www.typeapproval.com

The experts in regulatory approvals across the Asia-Pacific region

2001 Gateway Place, Suite 580W
San Jose, California 95110-1069 USA
Tel  +1.408.451.1001 (direct)
Mobile  +1.650.740.5762