From: peter_kelle...@dell.com [mailto:peter_kelle...@dell.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 2:35 PM
To: Pettit, Ghery; j...@jmwa.demon.co.uk; emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: RE: IATA Regulations

In fact, it's not just a fall back instrument in the world of general
aviation. There are many aircraft flying today where the lowly compass
is the primary (or even the only) navigational instrument. It has its
idiosyncrasies but once understood, its reliability and predicatability
remain unmatched by more advanced instrumentation.

I recall hearing an instructor once dismissing a gyroscopic heading
indicator as a mere 'luxury'. Still...a sneaky glance at the handheld
GPS never hurts.

Regards

Peter.