In message
<be3336be85968d49be01e66d6e365b1e0215f...@sjc1amfpew01.am.sanm.corp>,
dated Wed, 11 Jul 2007, "Tarver, Peter" <peter.tar...@sanmina-sci.com>
writes:

>Does this idea intend that each product off the production line be
>marked or otherwise documented with it's IR value?

No. In the manual you state a lower limit value based on the '1/3 of
original'. The original value should not vary much between samples, of
course; If it does, there's cause for concern right away.

> I've not seen IR as a required routine test for most product types.

It IS in Europe, for 'portable appliances'. Known as 'PAT testing' -
tautological like 'PIN number'. Usually carried out about once a year.

> All logging requirements I've seen for routine tests are limited to
>pass/fail, based on specific criteria.  Volume product manufacturers
>will not like this in the least.

It's in operation now; the issue is with the large degradation of IR
allowed by current standards.

>I think it's best to set a lower acceptable limit of IR.  Keeping track
>of the documentation for every product in-house is, at best,
>impractical, for any but the smallest enterprise.

Not really; the test boxes have in-built data storage and transmission.
It's quite easy, and not costly, to keep the records for the working
life of each product.
There are benefits from being irrational - just ask the square root of 2.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

     Scott Douglas           emcp...@ptcnh.net
     Mike Cantwell           mcantw...@ieee.org

     David Heald:            emc-p...@daveheald.com