Hi Ron:

You ask some good questions.  I should use these for
my next "Technically Speaking" column in the PSEN.

Insulation resistance and dielectric strength are two
different parameters of insulation.

Insulation resistance is just that:  the resistance,
in ohms (or teraohms) of the installed insulation.

Dielectric strength is the maximum voltage the
insulation will withstand without breakdown, usually
in kV (for the installed insulation) or kV/mm (for
the raw insulation).

Both parameters are directly proportional to the
distance through the insulation.  The greater the
insulation thickness, the greater the insulation
resistance and the greater the dielectric strength.

Neither parameter can be substituted for the other
parameter.

As for history of insulation resistance testing as
a measure of safety, I can only guess.  Fifty years
ago or more, paper was the principle insulation
material in transformers, motors, etc.  My guess is
that insulation resistance of paper insulations was
a valid measure of the quality and reliability of
the installed insulation.  Those insulations
measured in the range of 100s of megohms to 100s of
gigaohms.  And, they tended to be hygroscopic,
which could be measured by the change in insulation
resistance between low humidity and high humidity.

Today's insulations measure in the range of 100s of
gigaohms and up.  These materials are such very good
insulators that insulation resistance need not be
measured.  And, they are not hygroscopic.

For safety purposes, a dielectric strength test is
not better than an insulation resistance test, and
vice-versa.  They are largely independent parameters
of insulation.

For example, an insulation may have a very high
insulation resistance, but a very low dielectric
strength.  Air is an example of such an insulation.

And, an insulation may have a very low insulation
resistance and a high dielectric strength.  When I
worked for the oscilloscope company, the crt
cathode operated at -1000 V dc in a very high-
impedance circuit.  We had difficulty finding
insulating materials with sufficiently high
insulation resistance for this application.

Another example of extremely high insulation
resistance (but not necessarily high electric
strength) is that used in the construction of
ionization chambers.

A primary circuit dielectric withstand test is
to show that the safety insulations have adequate
electric strength to withstand the normally-
occurring transient voltages that appear on the
mains.  (Safety standards fail to state this as
a requirement.)

So, the insulation resistance test and the
dielectric strength test are independent tests
and one cannot be used in lieu of the other.

And, I can only guess at the history of why
insulation resistance was included in safety
standards.

Here's a quiz for you:  What does DCC mean when
referring to wire?

Best regards,
Rich

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html