The standby symbol as well as several others are being used incorrectly
according to the original intent, but due to the lack of a better symbol, they
are being used to indicate a logical on/off instead of its intended
relationship with the disconnection or non-disconnection from the AC Mains.

I have always thought the stand-a-lone "Standby Symbol" was confusing the way
it is often being used. Originally, this symbol would be used on a button or
switch that when pressed or turned ON would put the device into a Standby
State (no disconnection from the mains).  But today, the symbol is used to
turn ON a device where the OFF state is really standby (this is backward from
my way of thinking).

I think the “I” + “/” + “Standby symbol” that is now showing up on
consumer electronic devices, they are trying to indicate that the two states
of the button is On or Standby. but by definition, the Standby symbol means
either On or Standby, so I do not see any reason to use anything but the
stand-a-lone standby symbol.

My Cell phone used the IEC5010 symbol ("|" inside the "O") which traditionally
is used on push-button ON/OFF switches that are also disconnect devices. So in
my way of thinking, this is not the correct symbol to use on a battery
operated device, but like I said before, these symbols are being used for
logical ON/OFF because a better symbol that is recognizable for the On/Off
function is not available.

The Other Brian

  _____