Gentlemen:

The CDRH/FDA compliance standard is an emission requirement as contrasted
with the ICNIRP or IEEE C95.1 standards which are exposure requirements. It
could, in theory, be possible to check a microwave oven to the ICNIRP
guideline, however, it would be necessary to perform whole-body average
exposure measurements which would (1) be time-consuming and (2) be very
dependent on the location and size of the exposed body. Ovens are typically
tested for emission using a dedicated microwave oven leakage meter (see
http://www.ets-lindgren.com/page/?i=HI-1710A).

The CDRH/FDA requirements of 10 W/m2 when first received by the end user
and 50 W/m2 thereafter were based on the fact that early microwave ovens
tended to have increased leakage as the oven aged and as the gasketing
materials, often used, would wear. This aging is much less prevalent in
today's oven.

CDRH has a two documents outlining recommended testing protocols for both
lab testing and field testing of microwave ovens (tried to attach these,
however, the list serve won't accept attachments - happy to forward copies
to anyone interested). In practice, an oven manufacturer must file a
compliance plan with CDRH detailing how they will test and control the
production of ovens to comply with the regulation.

Regards,

Dave Baron, PE
Consulting Engineer
Electromagnetic Field Safety