Greetings Regulatory Professionals,

        I have a need to source for a single-outlet, NEMA 5-15R receptacle
that has a temperature rating of at least 70 deg. C. I have reviewed the
temperature ratings for several manufacturers of a single-outlet receptacle of
this type and cannot find any with a temperature rating above 60 deg. C. I
have also reviewed UL 498 and can find no prohibition for such a rating.
        For background information, the application is an electrical appliance
which will have a wall-wart, Class II transformer plugged into this receptacle
inside the unit. Actual power conducted through the receptacle is very small
(less than 1 A), but the appliance is rated for a maximum 40 deg C ambient and
the other power-consuming components inside the appliance combine to yield a
temperature of approx. 64 deg C on the outlet under maximum use conditions
when the unit is located in a 40 C ambient. Therefore, the agency testing the
unit will not accept a receptacle rated for maximum 60 deg C.
        Can any of you direct me to a source for such a receptacle rated at
least 70 deg C?   Thanks in advance for any information you may be able to
share.

Good day,

Richard I. Pittenger
Agency Approval Engineer
Food Retail Systems
Hobart
Troy, Ohio 45374
message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc
discussion list. Website: http://www.ieee-pses.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas emcp...@ptcnh.net Mike Cantwell mcantw...@ieee.org

For policy questions, send mail to: