In my earlier response, I assumed the measurement would be made with
modulation off.

The peak would be 5.1 dB higher with 80% modulation, but what is measured on
the spectrum analyzer would, as you point out, depend on the bandwidth
settings. For true RMS power meters, the measurement would be 1.1dB higher
with modulation on.

To measure the induced current with a spectrum analyzer, without the
modulation affecting the reading, I set the RBW to 300Hz or lower (for a 1kHz
modulation frequency).  Some spectrum analyzers don't have bandwidths that
low, and for others (like the HP 859x series) it is an option.

Bob Richards, NCT.

Javor <ken.ja...@emccompliance.com> wrote:

Presumably you have the 80% modulation. If you use a spectrum analyzer
with peak detection and a bandwidth larger than the required
modulation bandwidth you will capture the peak of the modulation
envelope, which would be 120 mA. In dB, that is less than 1 dB error,
within the uncertainty of a spectrum analyzer measurement.

But your EUT and AE both need to have a common mode short to ground to
get this level of current flowing. Seems odd.

message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc
discussion list. Website: http://www.ieee-pses.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas emcp...@ptcnh.net Mike Cantwell mcantw...@ieee.org

For policy questions, send mail to: