Here is a summary of what I have learned to date on the subject

UL has a standard for the cells used in a battery pack  UL1642 "Lithium
Batteries"

UL has a standard for a battery pack incorporating Lithium Ion cells  UL2054
"Household and Commercial Batteries"

While there does not seem to be any mandatory certs required in Europe and
other countries as far as I have been able to determine there is an IEC/EN
standard for battery packs EN62133 "SECONDARY CELLS AND BATTERIES CONTAINING
ALKALINE OR OTHER NON-ACID ELECTROLYTES - SAFETY REQUIREMENTS FOR PORTABLE
SEALED SECONDARY CELLS, AND FOR BATTERIES MADE FROM THEM, FOR USE IN PORTABLE
APPLICATIONS" which can be applied to Lithium Ion batteries. I have heard
rumours this standard may be adopted as a mandatory requirement by some
countries in Europe and Asia but don't have any specific details...

For Japan the DENAN Law was revised in November 2007 to include Lithium-ion
batteries in the DENAN scope in the Non Specified Category, Other Electrical
Appliances and Materials.  However, the actual requirements for Lithium
batteries will be published at the end of March 2008, and implemented on
November 20, 2008.

It seems that Lithium batteries imported to Japan or sold in Japan after
November 20 with an energy density greater then 400Watts/Liter requires a PSE
Circle Mark.  Lithium batteries which are in the Japanese market before
November 20, 2008 may have a grace period (not announced yet by METI). The
(PS)E circle mark is a quasi self declaration similar to the CE Mark so you
can have testing performed by any lab capable of doing the tests to support
your marking.

The Japanese standards for the lithium ion batteries are JIS C8712 " Safety
Requirements for Portable Sealed Secondary Cells and Batteries Made From Them
for Use in Portable Applications" and JIS C8714 " Safety Tests for Portable
Lithium Ion Secondary Cells and Batteries for Use in Portable Equipment" which
are a modified versions of IEC62133. The biggest difference seems to be the
JIS standards add a forced internal short circuit of cells test which is
supposed to simulate a piece of metal damaging the separator material leading
to a short circuit thermal runaway situation. C8712 does not appear to be
available in English but you can get a translation of C8714 at the following
site.

http://www.webstore.jsa.or.jp/webstore/Com/FlowControl.jsp?lang=en
<http://www.webstore.jsa.or.jp/webstore
Com/FlowControl.jsp?lang=en&bunsyoId=JI
+C+8714%3A2007&dantaiCd=JIS&status=1&pageNo=0>
&bunsyoId=JIS+C+8714%3A2007&dantaiCd=JIS&status=1&pageNo=0

I have been advised that the C8714 standard is all you need since all the
requirements of C8712 is similar to the IEC62133 standard and are repeated in
the C8714 standard but I am in the process of having this verified.

Also the following document "A Guide to The Safe Use of Secondary Lithium Ion
Batteries in Notebook-type Personal Computers", which was created by the
JEITA, Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association may
be of interest

http://www.jeita.or.jp/english/topics/

Sharing this information is in all our best interests as it makes our products
safer and I am willing to bet we all have lithium ion battery products in our
homes so any other info anyone has they can share is appreciated....

regards,

John Tyra
Manager Product Safety

Bose Corporation