In message <4e5c600b.8000...@radiusnorth.net>, dated Mon, 29 Aug 2011,
Scott Douglas <sdoug...@radiusnorth.net> writes:

>If my product has a Standby mode which exceeds 1.0W and it has an
>Off-mode that is less than 0.5W (typically 0.0W), does that mean it is
>compliant to today's requirements? The argument from one side is that
>it has both Standby and Off modes so both modes must be compliant. The
>other side argues that it has a compliant Off mode, so Standby mode
>does not matter.
>
>Who is right?

As usual, the regulation is very badly worded, with all those 'and/or's.
It DOES mean that each mode provided must comply with the requirements
for that mode. If it didn't, a stand-by mode could draw 50 W for most of
24/7 and the product would still be acceptable.

>Second question, has anyone argued the "except where this is
>inappropriate for the intended use" statement yet? If you have, I'd
>like to hear about it off-line if you would be willing to share.

This applies to products that are intended for continuous operation. The
classic example is a clock, but a TV antenna amplifier is another.
When I point to a star, please look at the star, not my finger. The star will
be more interesting.

http://product-compliance.oc.ieee.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@radiusnorth.net>