The requirement for "secondary protection" is based on the results of Type
Tests for components that are across the line, and the requirements found
in 1.5.9.2. The assumption is that the component is rated to be used
across mains, and the box is Class I construction.

The best result for a surge is that when the varistor (MOV) conducts, the
fault current has a low-Z path to the current interrupt device (input
fuse) which quickly opens. In this case, the 'additional' protection is
provided by a typical input fuse.

Brian

http://product-compliance.oc.ieee.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html