My safety people are telling me that part of Ed. 2 also requires that VDR's
line to line ( or line to neutral) have secondary protection.
Either a fuse, gas tube, or double insulated cap.    They have been with great
gusto been pulling out the VDR's or replacing them with fused versions.

>From an EMC aspect,  we never know when a VDR (from now on MOV) goes bad.

SO....

with respect to line to line (neutral) MOV's only and Ed.2

Do MOV's need a secondary protection?

thanks for any comments

Regards

David Spencer
EH&S EMC Engineer
Xerox Corp

-----Original Message-----
From: emc-p...@ieee.org on behalf of Bill Owsley
Sent: Wed 12/15/2010 3:57 PM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG; oconne...@tamuracorp.com
Subject: RE: [PSES] IEC 60950-1 Ed. 2 Class A Pluggable equipment and VDR
bridging basic insulation.

In EMC are testing to 2 kV surge.  But Brazil deemed our product "telecom"
and applied 4 kV.  A couple of our products spark and arc impressively and
continue running.  A couple of others quit, died, castors up, and the smoke
got out... (It fun when they do that!)
EMC says it has to continue to work.
Safety says it only has to fail safely.
Engineering says fix it but don't change anything.
VDR between line and earth,
and between line to line fixes it to 4 kV.
But I run right into the safety guy and all these notes, about pluggable,
single/double fused, screwed down earths, permanent connect, etc.

 Bill
In the event of a national emergency,
click on the following links to provide directions to your duly elected
mis-representatives.http://www.usa.gov/Contact/Elected.shtml
or...
https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml
http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfmif really