Hi John and the group,

Sometimes the shield can cause high frequency problems as it is just a thick
wire. I documented this in a paper published at the EMC'94 Roma Symposium. One
problem can happen when CM shield currents land on a PC chassis and then get
into the internal circuits through seams in the chassis. This is what I
described in the Roma '94 paper. UTP was shown to perform much better for both
immunity and emissions compared to STP in a PC environment.

The link to the paper is: http://emcesd.com/pdf/roma94.pdf .  For those who
haven't been to my site, there are 160+ other papers and articles I have
written are posted there as well.

Doug