This message has been converted via the evaluation version of
Transend Migrator. Use beyond the trial period specified in
your Software Evaluation Agreement is prohibited. Please contact
Transend Corporation at (650) 324-5370 or sales.i...@transend.com
to obtain a license suitable for use in a production environment.
Thank you.
---------------------------------------------------------------------<br>

In message <2a93eb060805020512se98e1d4x8d63d1a2a755f...@mail.gmail.com>,
dated Fri, 2 May 2008, Grace Lin <graceli...@gmail.com> writes:

>Last March, I had an oppotunity to sit with an EU policy maker for a
>dinner.  I expressed FCC's position about immunity requriement.  He
>agreed with it.  However, it maybe not easy to withdraw the immunity
>requriements from the EMC Directive.  For manufacturers, it is not a
>big deal to meet both emission and immunity requriements (since EU
>requirements are self declaration).  However, if other countries follow
>up and post in-country testing requriements, this would be a big issue
>for manufactrurers.

You were told only part of the story. From the point of view of the
spectrum management authorities, the PRIMARY purpose of EMC control is
to reduce to an acceptable minimum the number of complaints of
interference. This is because they are costly to investigate.

I don't know what the history of EMC is in USA, but in Europe in the 60s
and 70s there were many problems caused by lack of immunity, not
excessive emissions. This was particularly evident in Germany, where
emission control was intense. So it was, and still is, very much in the
interests of both responsible manufacturers and the spectrum management
authorities to have control of both emissions AND immunity embodied in
the EMC Directive.

Since this is unlikely to be a peculiarly European phenomenon, I think
we can expect immunity requirements to be introduced where they do not
already exist. However, mandatory in-country testing is a barrier to
trade and must be opposed, in favour of mutual recognition agreements.
Murphy's Law has now been officially re-named The Certainty Principle

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

     Scott Douglas           emcp...@ptcnh.net
     Mike Cantwell           mcantw...@ieee.org

     David Heald:            emc-p...@daveheald.com