There are some significant difference in the history of emissions and
immunity between the United Sates and Europe.

First, the power systems are different.  The U.S. has more separation
between residential, commercial and industrial customers.  There tend to be
very few customers connected to a single distribution transformer.  This
tends to limit problems from conducted emissions.  It is unlikely that
conducted noise from an industrial facility would affect residential
customers.  There is also significant geographic separation between
industrial and residential customers.  The American preference for
single-family homes tends to separate a significant portion of the
population from each other.

Although the United States has a few areas with high population density
such as New York, Chicago or Boston, the portion of the population living
in a dense urban area may not be as high as in Germany.  Further, it is
more common in Europe to have a mix of commercial and residential customers
on the same power system.  You may even have some light industrial users on
that power system.  The chances of interference have historically been
higher.

The proliferation of wireless devices and electronics may change the
American view of the necessity for immunity testing.  But there may also be
another factor at work.  Many manufacturers of devices that could have
immunity problems design those devices for world wide use.  It is likely
that the version sold in the United States has either been tested for
immunity for sale in Europe, or it shares a largely common platform with a
European version.  As far as I know, there have been few public calls for
improved immunity requirements in the United States.

Ted Eckert
APC-MGE
http://www.apc.com/

The items contained in this e-mail reflect the personal opinions of the
writer and are only provided for the assistance of the reader. The writer
is not speaking in an official capacity for APC-MGE or Schneider Electric.
The speaker does not represent APC-MGE's or Schneider Electric's official
position on any matter.

             John Woodgate
             <jmw@jmwa.demon.c
             o.uk>                                                      To
             Sent by:                  emc-p...@ieee.org
             emc-p...@ieee.org                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
             05/02/2008 07:38          Re: FCC Immunity Requirements
             AM

In message <2a93eb060805020512se98e1d4x8d63d1a2a755f...@mail.gmail.com>,
dated Fri, 2 May 2008, Grace Lin <graceli...@gmail.com> writes:

>Last March, I had an oppotunity to sit with an EU policy maker for a
>dinner.  I expressed FCC's position about immunity requriement.  He
>agreed with it.  However, it maybe not easy to withdraw the immunity
>requriements from the EMC Directive.  For manufacturers, it is not a
>big deal to meet both emission and immunity requriements (since EU
>requirements are self declaration).  However, if other countries follow
>up and post in-country testing requriements, this would be a big issue
>for manufactrurers.

You were told only part of the story. From the point of view of the
spectrum management authorities, the PRIMARY purpose of EMC control is
to reduce to an acceptable minimum the number of complaints of
interference. This is because they are costly to investigate.

I don't know what the history of EMC is in USA, but in Europe in the 60s
and 70s there were many problems caused by lack of immunity, not
excessive emissions. This was particularly evident in Germany, where
emission control was intense. So it was, and still is, very much in the
interests of both responsible manufacturers and the spectrum management
authorities to have control of both emissions AND immunity embodied in
the EMC Directive.

Since this is unlikely to be a peculiarly European phenomenon, I think
we can expect immunity requirements to be introduced where they do not
already exist. However, mandatory in-country testing is a barrier to
trade and must be opposed, in favour of mutual recognition agreements.
Murphy's Law has now been officially re-named The Certainty Principle

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

     Scott Douglas           emcp...@ptcnh.net
     Mike Cantwell           mcantw...@ieee.org

     David Heald:            emc-p...@daveheald.com