From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of
pat.law...@slpower.com
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2008 8:28 PM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: Use of ground fault detectors in hospitals

Hi listmembers:

We have a customer in Hong Kong who is reporting problems using their
equipment in an operating room.  Specifically, the GFI/RCCB/RCD (ground fault
detector) installed in the operating room trips, shutting off power to the
system.  After resetting the GFI, the equipment can be started successfully.

My question concerns the use of GFIs in operating rooms.  This sounds unusual
to me, and I'd think the GFI would have to meet many of the same requirements
that medical equipment needs to meet (e.g., IEC60601-1 approval).  Is anyone
familiar with either requirements or prohibitions on the use of GFIs in an
operating room?

Pat Lawler
EMC Engineer
SL Power Electronics Corp. - ----------
----------------------------------------------------- This message is from the
IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc discussion list. Website:
http://www.ieee-pses.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas emcp...@ptcnh.net Mike Cantwell mcantw...@ieee.org

For policy questions, send mail to:

Jim Bacher: j.bac...@ieee.org David Heald: emc-p...@daveheald.com

LECO Corporation Notice: This communication may contain confidential
information intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you received this by
mistake, please destroy it and notify us of the error. Thank you.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html