I sent this on Monday but I do not think it got through to the group.

To Grace, and others who have replied,

Thank you.  Your input is very much appreciated.

I did want a sanity check on my understanding of the regulatory requirements
and from the replies it seems I got those pretty much right.  I also wanted to
understand how the network operator requirements fitted into the equation and
to what extent and when they were required.

If I now understand the situation network operator requirements correctly, for
the USA/Canada at least, as with other types of devices, network operators
heavily subsidise 3G devices they are supplying.  Before supplying any
devices, the network operator requires those device be PTCRB certified and the
network operator may possibly also apply additional requirements of their own.
 Where a device is purchased independently (i.e. the device is not supplied by
a network operator), all that is required before purchasing a SIM and
connecting to an operator's network is to comply with the regulatory
requirements (i.e. FCC certification in the USA or IC certification  in
Canada).

As such, while it makes commercial sense for any vendor to 'partner' with a
network operator to supply their 3G device there is nothing stopping you
connecting a device that is not PTCRB certified.

I believe the situation in Europe to be similar.

Best regards,
Kevin Richardson

Stanimore Pty Limited
Compliance Advice & Solutions for Technology
(Legislation/Regulations/Standards/Australian Agent Services)
Ph:       02-4329-4070       (Int'l: +61-2-4329-4070)
Fax:      02-4328-5639       (Int'l: +61-2-4328-5639)
Mobile:  04-1224-1620       (Int'l: +61-4-1224-1620)
Email:    kevin.richard...@stanimore.com    or    kevin.richard...@ieee.org

Confidentiality
This material (this email including all attachments) may contain confidential
and/or privileged information intended to be read or used by the addressees
only.  If you are not one of the intended recipients, any copying, disclosure,
distribution, use of or reliance upon this material is prohibited.  If you
receive this material in error, please immediately notify Stanimore Pty
Limited and delete/destroy all copies (electronic and hardcopy) of this email
and all attachments.  While the sender tries to ensure the accuracy of the
information contained in this material, Stanimore take no responsibility for
any actions taken as a result of receiving this material or for any
consequence of its use.