In message
<201048ea81ba0745aca78e4cc8839001037cf...@desmdswms201.des.grplnk.net>,
dated Fri, 31 Oct 2008, "Haynes, Tim (SELEX GALILEO, UK)"
<tim.hay...@selexgalileo.com> writes:

>Remember that when you apply a standard you are doing so on the basis
>that the standard covers ALL the product EMC characteristics.
>
>IF you design a PC with a 3GHz clock and only apply a standard with a
>1GHz limit and then there is a problem with real interference at 3GHz,
>the authorities may not believe that due diligence had been applied.
>
>So I would start asking - what does the product do - and then find
>standards that may be useful in making your EMC assessment.

In almost all circumstances there is NO legal requirement in Europe to
do this. If the applicable product standard does  not cover a particular
frequency range, the committee concerned saw no need for limits in that
range, and by notifying the standard in the OJEC, the Commission has
accepted that the standard gives prima facie evidence of complying with
the Directive.

You DO NOT have to trawl though all the EMC standards that exist,
looking for another one to apply, almost certainly OUTSIDE ITS SCOPE.

However, self-interest may suggest that if you know of any EMC effect
not covered by the applicable standards, you should consider how to test
and what VOLUNTARY limits to apply.
Either we are causing global warming, in which case we may be able to stop it,
or natural variation is causing it, and we probably can't stop it. You choose!

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

     Scott Douglas           emcp...@ptcnh.net
     Mike Cantwell           mcantw...@ieee.org

     David Heald:           dhe...@gmail.com